Falcon 4 Allied Force works differently than Falcon 4 BMS 4. You must first choose a theater where increasing the number of barcaps is even possible. The instructions will be broken down by theater.
Increasing the number of barcaps of the Korean theater is possible on the Allied Side. However, increasing the number of barcaps on the enemy side is not. The number of barcaps on the enemy side is so few that is not even really playable. Literally only about three or four barcaps for the entire enemy side will be present at one time once the campaign gets going. Unfortunately, if you want to have any air to air resistance when striking airbases, you will need to choose another theater. Korea, Korea 2005, and Korea 2010 all have the problem of not generating enough barcaps.
The Balkans theater works pretty well at generating enough barcaps. Try fast forwarding the game 64 times. Check whether there is a whole screen worth of defensive counter air missions well into to the campaign- like four or five hours into it. If the number of barcaps dwindles a lot, then you might want to adjust the priorities to make the game harder.
The game can be made a lot harder by adjusting the priorities to generate more barcaps. In fact in Balkans 2010, the priorities can be adjusted in such a way that it makes NATO get soundly defeated and greatly need your intervention. The only limitation is that you may have to choose between heavy air to air resistance and no enemy air interdiction of vehicles missions or enemy airbases strikes.
However, it is okay to have the enemy side just concentrate on defense. In the Balkans campaign, enemy airbase strikes rarely succeed anyway. Allied airbases are very safe for the most part in the Balkans campaign even if enemy airbase strikes are allowed. This is despite the fact that there are almost no allied barcap defensive counter air missions.
So if you change the priorities to just make the enemy concentrate on defense, you won't be changing much.
Also, it is okay to have the enemy just do defense. For many modern wars, the enemy is mainly interested in just doing defense. Attacks on allied bases are rare. So this would be nothing that is unrealistic.
Here is how to change the priorities to get many more barcaps in the Balkans campaign. It zeros out any priorities except for defensive counter air. There is a limitation in doing this however. You cannot check the box that says set priorities by headquarters. This is because if you do, the setting will also be changed for the enemy side. However, you can set different priorities for both the allied and enemy side.
Here is how to change the priorities to get more barcaps.
1. Make it so that you can fly any plane. In the Falcon 4 Allied Force folder, go to the campaign folder. Then go to the folder that has the name of the theater you wish to play. For example, if you wish to play the Balkans 2010 theater, go to the Balkans 2010 folder. In that folder there would be a file named validAC.bin. Change the name of this file. A good name to change this to is xvalidAC.bin. If you name it that name, then the file will be easy to find. This will make it so you can change it back to validAC.bin if you want the aircraft you can fly to be restricted again.
2. Start the Falcon 4 Allied Force simulation. Select the theater that you made it so you can fly any plane. Enter the squadron of the enemy side. If you are playing the Balkans 2010 theater, just enter the squadron of the red side. This is the Serbian side. You will want to leave the yellow side, or CIS(Russian), side alone so they can fly their inderdiction missions. Just changing the priorities in the Serbian side will be sufficient.
3. In the missions tab, slide every mission except for defensive counter air and reconnaissance to the left. Slide defensive counter air all the way to the right. This will make the game generate the maximum amount of defensive counter air missions. If you want, you can experiment and slide the missions such as offensive counter air and interdiction a little bit to the right. You can then fast-forward the game and watch whether it generates enough barcap missions.
4. Enter a squadron on the NATO side. You can adjust the priorities on this side and it will not interfere with the priorities on the red side. But you do not need to adjust the priorities.
5. You will now have a much more challenging game. You can now play the game.
Other theaters may or may not generate enough barcaps. Unless it is designed to do so, it probably won't generate enough barcaps. I have noticed that many of the PMC theaters generate almost no barcaps. Every campaign needs to be tested for how well it generates barcaps. To test whether it generates enough barcaps, do the following.
Make it so that you can fly any plane. In the Falcon 4 Allied Force folder, go to the campaign folder. Then go to the folder that has the name of the theater you wish to play. Rename validAC.bin to something such as xvalidAC.bin.
2. Enter a squadron on the allied side. Leave the priorities alone. Then time accelerate the game 64 times for about five minutes which will be five hours of game time. Check the air tasking order and see how many defensive counter air missions have been generated. If more than a few have been generated, then it works at generating a decent amount of barcaps.
3. Load the saved game autosave and then enter a squadron on the red side. Check whether there is more than a few barcaps that have been generated in the air tasking order.
4. If there has not been enough barcaps generated on both sides, then change the mission priorities for every mission except for defensive counter air and reconnaissance all the way to the left. Then change defensive counter air all the way to the right. Then time accelerate the game for several minutes and check whether there are enough barcaps in the air tasking order on the allied or enemy side. If this doesn't work, then the theater is not workable and cannot be made decently challenging. It should not be played.